Chef Johnny Hernandez is a celebrated chef, entrepreneur, and founder and President of Grupo La Gloria and True Flavors Inc.. He is one of the premier Mexican cuisine chefs in the United States and a recognized authority on Mexican cuisine and culture. To date Chef Johnny Hernandez is responsible for an extremely successful catering business and 14 restaurants with 2 on the way.
Favorite Success Quote or Mantra.
You have to do what you love so you don't work a day in your life.
In this episode with Chef Johnny Hernandez, we discuss:
- How he feeds off his people's motivation and sense of responsibility and it drives him.
- Exercising discipline.
- How Chef Johnny Hernandez crafted his brand around his interests story and values.
- Why you need to open your ears and listen to everyone who speaks to you; you never know where you're going to learn something.
- Why Hernandez chose to focus on catering during the earlier portion of his career.
- Looking at your first few jobs out of college as continued education.
- Why it is beneficial to become a specialist and carve out a niche.
- How Hernandez transition from working in his business to working on his business.
- Empowering your people to think for themselves.
- Giving your people something worth working for in your mission statement.
- How Hernandez has gone as far as growing his own heritage, non-GMO corn for the purpose of providing the best possible meal for his guest
- Investing in your people.
Soundtrackyourbrand.comSoundtrack Business lets you play 250 music channels guaranteed to fit any type of business. An easy-to-use dashboard lets you find great music, control all your locations and schedule your sound.
Go to RU500.net to act on a special offer for all Restaurant Unstoppable listeners. Nick Fosberg. is guaranteeing $500 in new sales for every $100 you spend on advertising. For Every $100 You Invest In Advertising, Nick Will Guarantee You A Minimum Of $500 Back In NEW Sales, Or Your Money Back Guaranteed!
Which "it factor" habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
What is your biggest weakness?
What's one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- Make your interviewee comfortable. Once they get comfortable their true self comes out.
What's a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Managing growth and aligning talent with the right responsibilities and skill set.
Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- Only hiring people with a certain heart for hospitality.
What's one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
- Setting the Table: The Transformative Power of Hospitality in Business.
- Good to Great: Why Some Great Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't
- The Army's Handbook.
Share an online resource or tool.
What's one piece of technology you've adopted in your restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- Good communication skills
If you got the news that you'd be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- Find your calling
- Be Patient
- Do your part in developing the youth today.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Johnny Hernandez for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!
Restaurant Unstoppable is a free podcast. One of the ways I'm able to make it free is by earning a commission when sharing certain products with you. I've made it a core value to only share tools, resources, and services my guest mentors have recommend, first. If you're finding value in my podcast, please use my links!