Hailing from Pennsylvania, Mark Marchionni has been in the restaurant business for 30 years — in Philadelphia, Vermont and Florida. About five years ago, Mark and his wife Stacey decided to make the move back to New England and settled on Rochester, NH. In 2014 Revolution Taproom and Grill was Born and in 2015 they were Name New Hampshire Magazines, "Best new Restaurant"
Favorite success quote or mantra:
"Beer is proof the god loves us and wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin
In todays episode with Mark Marchionni, we discuss:
- How you can learn just as much from the bad bosses as you can from the good.
- How the guest may not always be right, but you have to treat them like they're right.
- The importance of having your concept nailed, even down to the smallest features and details.
- Being mindful when placing change orders during your restaurant's build out. The cost can quickly add up.
- Getting things in writing, especially when you're speaking to the city.
- Going into every new restaurant opening with your eyes open and whatever you think its going to cost add $50,000-$100,000 more.
- Demographics and other things to consider when selecting a site.
- Being the change you want to see.
- Having a complete vision of what you want your restaurant to look like.
Cashflowtool.com A simple powerful and predictive cash flow companion for Qickbooks. Simple, because it requires no data entry, is always up to do and works on any device, anywhere. Powerful, because with it's built-in cash flow calendar, activitiy feed and anomaly detector, you instantly know all aspects of your cash flow with no surprises. Predictive, because you'll know your cash flow today and anticipate it tomorrow.
- Which "it factor" habit, trait, or characteristic you believe most contributes to your success?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- Understanding that common sense isn't all that common.
- What's one question you ask or thing you look for during an interview?
- What's a current challenge? How are you dealing with it?
- Share one code of conduct or behavior you teach your team.
- Be knowledgable about the menu
- What is one uncommon standard of service you teach your staff?
- never underestimate what people don't know
- What's one book we must read to become a better person or restaurant owner?
GET THIS BOOK FOR FREE AT AUDIBLE.COM
- If there was one tool or resource that you wish you had now -- or wish you had when you were getting started--to learn from others in the industry what would it be?
- What's the one thing you feel restaurateurs don't know well enough or do often enough?
- Get to know the restaurant business before opening their own restaurant.
- What's one piece of technology you've adopted within your four walls restaurant and how has it influence operations?
- If you got the news that you'd be leaving this world tomorrow and all memories of you, your work, and your restaurants would be lost with your departure with the exception of 3 pieces of wisdom you could leave behind for the good of humanity, what would they be?
- Leaving the people of tomorrow with wisdom.
- Don't regret not trying.
603 244 3022
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining today! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for the Restaurant Unstoppable Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates.
Huge thanks to Mark Marchionni for joining me for another awesome episode. Until next time!
Restaurant Unstoppable is a free podcast. One of the ways I'm able to make it free is by earning a commission when sharing certain products with you. I've made it a core value to only share tools, resources, and services my guest mentors have recommend, first. If you're finding value in my podcast, please use my links!
Direct download: 542_Mark_Marchionni_mixdown.mp3
-- posted at: 11:08pm EDT